Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Introduction

Why start a blog of Bible meditation? To answer that question requires me to step back in time and give a little background.

My father, now retired, was a college English professor. He's a very laid back person but you always knew he loved his work. Mix that with his dry sense of humor and you might guess that we had more than a little "chiding" about our grammar skills, or lack there of, over the dinner table, driving somewhere, any time, any where. It didn't take a special time for him to gently correct us in the correct paths of the English language. For the better part of 18 years I had my own personal English tutor and that left a mark on me. Not a bad one, just one that to this day shows his influence in my appreciation of writing, reading, and speaking. Even though I'm a "techie" and most others of my type have a real aversion to writing, I can honestly say that I don't. And of course, I must credit him with teaching me the Truth growing up. He is even to this day very diligent about studying God's Word which is another mark he has left with me. He's probably forgotten more than I'll ever know. In all these things I am extremely grateful.

There is another person that has had an impact and influence on me, Jim Everett. Jim was the local preacher at the congregation we attended in Cedar Park, Texas beginning in 1993. He had a real gift for writing about Biblical subjects in a very concise way. Jim's writing was a reflection of his personality and style: direct, succinct, and rich thoughts presented with a little dry humor on occassion. The focus was always about understanding the Word of God, not the writer or what the writer thinks. He always used some simple rules in his writing confining it to a single page of two columns and a short title that caught your attention. He would spend hours writing and re-writing to craft the thoughts and remove the "fluff".

It is said that often you don't realize what you have until it is gone. We moved from Cedar Park in the Summer of 2003 and missed Jim and his teaching and preaching. At the time we moved I had not spent much time writing or developing my skills. After all, we had Jim and he did it so well. At some point during 2004 I decided to get to it and use what I had learned from my father and Jim and developed a few subjects to use in lessons presented at our congregation here. Then what was least expected happened and set my mind to develop my writing skills even further. Jim was diagnosed with terminal cancer in early February and died 2 weeks later. He was an inspiration to me in life and now that he's gone I feel compelled to continue his legacy of writing.

With that short history, I hope you can understand why I set my mind to this and what I hope is accomplished. The goal is simple as Paul wrote in 1 Corithians 3:6 "I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase." So, we're going to get at some planting and let the Word of God operate on our hearts. My goal is to develop a subject and post it about one every two weeks. So, check back from time to time and let's be meditatiing on God's precepts.